The glitter spill that almost got me fired!

After years of being a celebrity nail tech (Portfolio), I was always looking for a way to mix colors quickly without making a mess. I remember spilling glitter almost got me fired!

While shooting an Estée Lauder campaign, I was asked to add a bit of sparkle to the nude pink nail polish in while doing pedicure. I normally sat on the floor while the makeup and hair were being done. That kept me out of their way and allowed me access to feet and hands that needed care. This also meant I couldn’t get up when the request was made.

We were in a time crunch because the model had overslept that morning. Thankfully I left a shimmer pigment in my nail caddy from another shoot. The nail polish was new so I poured a bit into my cuticle oil bottle. Don’t worry, it was almost finished. Now I had enough room in the bottle to add shimmer.

While tapping the pot of shimmer pigment on the bottle’s edge, shimmer flew into the air and onto model’s feet. This created a problem for the makeup artist, camera dept., lighting dept, and the stylist that needed her in expensive shoes. The glitter was so fine, it took half a pack of wipes to remove the sparkle from her skin. Now the time crunch was even more stressful. Of coarse at that very moment the AD (Asst. Director) showed up to ask ”How long?” as I hanged my head in shame. The makeup artist just stated "We had a set back" as she smiled at me.

Stepped away to mix the polish after cleaning up and thought all was well. I got a call from my agent asking if every was ok. That meant there was a call about me. I’m sure you think this was no big deal but in the industry, if you “hold up camera” you cost the production money. This was the last straw of a problem I had always had. That's why I created the Pottle—the first refillable nail bottle. 

pottle founder Nettie Davis






Thank you!